Sunday, January 2, 2011

From the Ah, If Only Dept.



These 2 pages, drawn by Curt Swan, helped usher the Silver Age of DC into the Bronze Age. There's a lot of nostalgia for Gold and Silver Ages, but a lot of that stuff was pretty lame and silly. The Bronze Age of the super heroes was pretty good stuff, still a little silly, but not so obviously.

Ah, if only I could go back to '71, the things I'd do differently. For one thing I would appreciate that time more than I did the first time around. Also I'd spend a little more dough, collecting stuff—and hanging on to it!

5 comments:

Porky said...

Yep, and it's not so much the collecting that's the trouble as the holding on!

Rodrigo said...

Thomas, hi!

You have there some illustrations from the Reader's Digest (50,s and 60's)?

Rod

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Rod, sorry I don't. I clipped a bunch of illustrations from Reader's Digests in the 60s, but threw them out in the 80s when everything started taking up too much space (case in point for the tough part of hanging on to it all).

Daniel [oeconomist.com] said...

I've not actually looked at “Kryptonite Nevermore!” in a quarter of a century, but it's in a filing cabinet just a few feet away from me.

joe ackerman said...

while in my late teens/early twenties, those heady days, I was moving around a whole lot from bed to flat to floor to stairwell, and ended up flogging off some four or five hundred plus old comics and paperbacks because I couldn't be arsed carting them about with me every time I moved on. yeah, like I wouldn't give me right leg now to get them back, now. what a maroon!


if only, indeed. . .