Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Post Post

It's been a while since I've posted any comic book stuff, so let's post some Howie Post!

Howie, who passed away not so long ago, had a long and respectable career in cartooning. One of his early gems was Jimminy and the Magic Book series, back in the '40s. As has been noted by BookSteve, Howie was influenced early on by Walt Kelly's work—but certainly not imitating him.

We have OtherEric, of the Digital Comic Museum, to thank for these scans. He sent them over a long time ago, but I just now got around to cleaning them up a bit. OtherEric has shared a bunch of The Adventures of Peter Wheat over on Whirled of Kelly, and I certainly appreciate his continued friendship!










6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Delightful!

Booksteve said...

Love it! Just plugged it on ITCH.

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Thanks Steven!

Anonymous said...

very nice--charlie

Unca Jeffy said...

VERY nice, I had never seen (or noticed) his early stuff, though I always loved his Harvey stuff. I never realized how much he had been inspired by Kelly.

Great post!

Ger Apeldoorn said...

I trust you know his similar (but not s good) work on Wonderland? I have a lot of his other DC stuff from that time and hope to scan and share it some time.