Monday, January 19, 2009

Comfort TV

Jon Gnagy taught me how to draw, as I guess he did countless others. Watching his show was a comforting routine, and of course like countless others, my family bought and used his art studio kit. Even my mother and brother joined in. My mom would sketch landscapes and my brother would draw faces over and over, using grid planes, so that they would look like diamond creatures. Unlike them, I stayed with it and went on to become a lifetime working artist.

All this TV experience was in black and white for me. I didn't see color TV regularly until the Bicentennial. 

And the only reason I could tolerate the Mickey Mouse Club was to watch the old cartoons, and oh yeah--Spin and Marty. The cartoons were always introduced from an old vault (I liked that idea) and Spin and Marty always filled me with a sense of dread, cuz there was always trouble brewing. But this TV stuff comforted me in my times of aloneness. I was alone a lot of the time, but I didn't really feel 'lonely'. I always found something to do and I enjoyed where my imagination took me.

No comments: