Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Admiral Kirk

The Timken Roller Bearing Company commissioned J.C. Leyendecker to paint portraits of war commanders for 1944 war bond ads & posters, of which here are 2 examples.

The geek in me likes to think of this first one of Admiral Kirk as a portrayal of an inspiring ancestor of Admiral James Tiberius Kirk of the 23rd century.

The second one is of General 'Vinegar' Joe Stillwell, who I thought maybe was portrayed in a movie by Karl Malden, but I'm probably mistaken.



7 comments:

John Matthew Stater said...

Malden played Gen. Omar Bradley in "Patton" - maybe that's what you're thinking about. Stillwell certainly resembles Malden, though.

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Yes, I think you're right. I thought maybe in one of those Tora Tora Tora kind of films, but I don't have the patience to look up Malden's filmography.

Thanks Matt.

Sam G said...

I hadn't seen the Leyendecker portrait of Admiral Kirk before. Nice.

Triton said...

Second it, Malden played Bradley in Patton. Poorly I might add.

M. D. Jackson said...

I love Lyendecker's work. I've never seen any of his portraits until now.

Wouldn't it be wild to do a Lynedecker style portrait of Admiral James T. Kirk?

Or would that just be too geeky?

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

M.D. — I think that would be just geeky enough.

Daniel [oeconomist.com] said...

Joseph Warren (“Vinegar Joe”) Stilwell was, however, portrayed by Erville Alderson in Objective, Burma! (1945), by Robert Stack in 1941 (1979), and by H. Ray Huff in Six Against the Rock (1987).