Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A MidSummer-Night's Dream—part 1

William Heath Robinson is my favorite of the Robinson brothers, illustrators of the golden age of book illustration. And the 1914 A MidSummer-Night's Dream is my favorite book of his, and maybe of all time. I am so enamored of this book and the beautiful use of negative space with perfectly rendered ink drawings. There are many illustrations in this book, and my time is limited, so I'm going to post only ten images at a time over the next couple of weeks.


Oberon. And make him with fair Ægle break his faith
(frontispiece)









5 comments:

Steve Scott said...

Wow! I can't wait for the rest of it!

John Matthew Stater said...

Robinson is indeed exceptional - a nice blend of whimsy (I can't believe I just used that word) and solid draftsmanship.

M. D. Jackson said...

These are amazing. I am a huge fan of classic pen and ink drawings.

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Hang on, the best is yet to come.

Larry MacDougall said...

Thanks for these Thom - fabulous work !