Monday, October 10, 2011

The Mightiest Heroes of Our Time


When I was just a wee lad, starting to cruise the DC universe, this house ad popped up in one of the lesser titles, and I just went all popcorn. I had to have it! Well, none of my wee friends read comics and there were no back issue catalogues or stores. Even the drugstore didn't carry the JLA title until #9 , the first JLA I bought off the spinners (the cool origin issue which I read a gajillion times). I only finally got to read this issue once I bought the hardcover JLA Archives many years later.

This ad was for JLA #1, yet the actual cover had no number on it. A 1st issue DC comic, with no #1 emblazoned on it? JUST IMAGINE!

5 comments:

Daniel [oeconomist.com] said...

Ah, in those days, Earth One had fewer superheroes, and a grand gathering was more practicable.

(It's obvious why the Legion and Supergirl weren't included. I guess that it was infra dig to invited the Elongated Man or Elastic Lad. I'm not sure why Green Arrow wasn't there.)

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Ah, but Green Arrow was not far behind and had his own splashy house ad to announce his initiation.

Larry MacDougall said...

Who's J'onn J'onzz ?

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Oho, something new for someone.

Larry, that's J'onn J'onzz, the Martian Manhunter (that green guy with the blue cape), whose secret identity is John Jones, police detective. He is generally credited as being the first super hero of the 'Silver Age'. Fire is his secret weakness. He was the backup feature in Batman's Detective Comics, and whereas I read his stories every time, I never really got a kick out of them. He was a rare hero that never got his own book.

joe ackerman said...

he ended up getting a whole load of his own mini-series much later on, if I remember correctly, most of which were awful. the Manhunter has always been one of those characters that only really works when he's got a team around him. he's like DC's version of the Vision.