Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Amethyst

My little category of Paneltopia is a close-up examination of stand-alone comic art panels. I'm including covers in Paneltopia, because they are indeed splash panels that just happen to be on the outside of a comic.

Amethyst-Princess of Gemworld was a comic that I believe was intended for a young female audience, seeing as the protagonist was a young female that, upon entering a transdimensional world, became a grown woman who just happened to be a princess. Some of the art was quite nice, as this cover demonstrates:

George Perez/Ernie Colon
Amethyst-Princess of Gemworld
October 1983

3 comments:

LC Douglass said...

Yes, I have this in my comics collection. It had a strange charm. I actually preferred Atari Force from the same period. The art for that was early Garcia Lopez.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I love the lyrical dynamism of this cover. It would definitely tempt me to buy the magazine!

Annie said...

Somehow, the panel reminds me of Peter Wheat, maybe the gentleness and optimism. The young woman seems capable of facing any conflict with success.