Friday, November 13, 2009

Ink Masterpiece

Disney movies aren't always my cup of tea, but Disney artists, over the years, have created stunning artwork for all aspects of the Disney empire—hundreds of thousands of individual works of art. Out of all that I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot, there is one work, one drawing, that I can pinpoint that is beyond measure, MY FAVORITE work of Disney art.

It's an ink masterpiece from 1937, created by Disney artist Hank Porter. Not only is the technique superb, but the composition, characterization, atmosphere and detail are seductive, drawing the viewer into another world. I actually want to live in this part of the Disney universe. Porter is such a great stylist, having also drawn the newspaper Sunday version of Snow White that I posted at an earlier date.

Mr. Door Tree posted this drawing last year, that I believe he said was from a Russ Cochran auction printed catalogue. I fell in love with it the moment I saw it. But today, on Russ Cochran's auction website, I saw it in high resolution, and it just bowls me over again.

It's up for auction again, with a starting bid of $20,000, up to $40,000 as of a few minutes ago. If I had the money, I would top any bid that came in, just to own-that-piece. I don't have the money, so I am content to admire the jpeg and admire and wish the best to whoever wins the bid in 27 days.

Look at it here, but go look at it better, read highest praise by Russ Cochran, and bid on it there. It deserves a really great home.


4 comments:

Mr. Door Tree said...

Thomas,

I'm with you, one of the most beautiful illustrations ever produced by the Disney Studio...or just about anyone else for that matter! Russ had it for sale for a mere $1,500 back in his first original art catalog, Graphic Gallery #1, 1973! Back then it wasn't known that the artist was Hank Porter! Russ's write-up on the drawing speaks volumes as we know he has seen everything!

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Mr. Door Tree, tell me that it's you bidding on this!

Larry MacDougall said...

Incredible !
Just getting this down in pencil would be more than a challenge for any artist but to then have to ink it - astonishing !

Li-An said...

A great picture. Very interesting to see how the artist changed his way he inked the tree and the characters differently.