Sunday, April 4, 2010

Schweppervescence

This has been one of the most grueling 10 days of my career, with overlapping, intertwined, complex and difficult deadlines. I'm exhausted, and yet still not out of the woods. When I catch up a little, I'd like to explain just a little of what I do, if anyone could possibly be interested.

In the meantime I'm taking a tiny breather and wanted to post something so as to keep any of you coming back. I was refreshing myself with a tumbler of Schweppes effervescent water, and I got to remembering this refreshing advertising image from oh so long ago.

Schweppes Royal Table Water

Advertising just isn't what it used to be.

The Schweppes brand has sort of an interesting history, but an especially complicated licensing and distribution arrangement around the world. Check out Wikipedia here for a quick rundown.

I'll be back as soon as I can. I miss having spare time, but oh well, at least I'm sorta making a living.

5 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

I'm interested, Thom, if no one else is. I came off a deadline just before Easter and have been enjoying the weekend of doing nothing.

Steve Scott said...

Don't worry about people not coming back. I check your blog several times a day, no matter what. We all have lives, and damn... you gotta make a living.

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Thanks guys, I appreciate your attention . . . and empathy.

Deadlines and commitments, without those I could REALly get some work done around here.

Francine Bates said...

Hi from London. I thought you would like to know that the lovely image you have posted is from an original painting by a British Victorian/Edwardian painter called Maynard Brown. The model was a beautiful young woman called Kitty Bates who eventually married the artist. Kitty was my late father's Aunt. The family legend is that Brown and the beautiful young Kitty met at some point around the turn of the 20th century when she served him as a shop assistant in the famous department store,Harrods. She was a stunner and Maynard Brown soon had her posing for him although she made sure he proposed to her fairly quickly! Brown became a successful commercial artist and Kitty, now his wife, continued to pose for her husband appearing on numerous mirrors, calendars,biscuit tins and even ash-trays. Brown died in 1936 and Kitty, who was much younger than her husband, lived on for another 20 years or so. My father who met her said she was still very beautiful even in her sixties, with a wonderful laugh and a sparkle in her eye. Thank you very much for sharing this image of my Great Aunt Kitty.

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

And thank you for sharing the wonderful history. It's fascinating and wonderful to make connections around the world, and even through time!