Sunday, July 11, 2010

AH!

In a few days, I'll get back to posting some older old stuff, but in the meantime I promised some eyecandy, and who better to turn to for that than Adam Hughes. His work on Ghost inspired me to buy the comics. And, well, to be honest, his work was the only thing I liked about those comics. Below is my favorite cover for a trade paperback comix collection.

And his sketches are a delight.





When the comic shown below first came out in '94, I admired the cover and for whatever reason held off getting it. I went back to the store the next day to buy it, but it was sold out. I checked other stores, and they were all sold out. I put in an order for it and it was unavailable. For months I would routinely check the comic bins. Finally almost a year later I found a mint copy in the back number bins of the store where I first saw it. The interior of the book meant nothing to me, I-just-wanted-that-Adam-Hughes-cover! I'm sure it's easily available now, but I have it, and it's not for sale.

Sheesh, what we fanboys don't go through.


7 comments:

Artman2112 said...

that first image shows that Mucha's influence is EVERYWHERE! nice sketches!

joe ackerman said...

same story here, mate! I bought the book solely because of that absolutely beautiful cover, and, yep, the insides stunk to high heaven!

M. D. Jackson said...

I love Adam Hughes' work. His lines are so simple yet they speak volumes. The ability to "say" so much with a simple line is one I admire greatly and really have to struggle to achieve in my own work.

Plus his ladies are smokin' hot.

Kendra Melton said...

Nice and thanks so much for including the process work. :]

Sam G said...

Adam Hughes is one of my Heroes. I wish the new art book of his had twice as many pages. Thanks for posting this!

Drax said...

Awesome, Thanks!

crabula said...

This is some of his breast work, er, uh, best work.