Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Her Authority

I'm still going through my mother's papers, piecing together a mosaic of my early life that I was too young to understand or remember. I don't feel that I'm nosing in where I shouldn't, due to the fact that my mom saved these scraps of life with the purpose that I should inherit them. Much of this stuff I could certainly do without, indicating how poor we were financially, but there are bits and pieces that shed light on how rich we were with family love.

This note was written by my brother when he was eleven and I was five. Even though my father had recently moved out, we were all still close emotionally, even my mom and dad. When I found this note, I laughed and cried at the same time. I hesitate to post it, but this IS an autobiographical blog, and I've redacted my brother's name so hopefully he won't kill me if he should stumble across this post.


7 comments:

Larry MacDougall said...

nice :)

M. D. Jackson said...

I have a lot of little notes like that stashed away. One day my daughter will go through them and probably have the same reaction that you did.

E.G.Palmer said...

Ha! That's great.

Bob said...

For no reason at all, that made me cry. I'm glad you're going through this stuff.

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Thanx guys, all of you. I was afeard you'd all boo me off the stage.

M.D.—I've got some notes from my daughter that make me well up every time I come across them. The love of a kid is so g-d- precious.

And thank you Bob for the empathy—very much appreciated. Still more stuff to go through.

Annie said...

Dear Thom, It made me laugh with your brother's total and complete honesty, and it made me think how difficult it must have been for your parents, also, to see their children caught in the middle. It's both wonderful and difficult to find treasured notes like that; and it probably does help you to put some perspective on a time when you were so young. I'm glad your home was filled with love, despite the troubles, and that thought brings the tears to me, too. What an odd mix life can bring us. Sending hugs.

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Thanks Annie, I always admire and appreciate YOUR perspective on things. Your insight means a lot to me.