Monday, March 21, 2011

Princess of Gonwanda Land

Alley Oop has kind of a cult following, with people who are forever seeking a strip here and a strip there to collect. I wish I had more, but at least I do have a few to share. This post starts a partial sequence of 18 strips, starting in the middle of a storyline, missing some here and there, and stopping abruptly. But that doesn't matter to cult followers, and hopefully not to the rest of you either.

I only have time to scan, clean up and post one strip every few days, but maybe that will keep some of you coming back again. And the rest of you . . . well, try to enjoy them anyway.

These strips are dedicated to our friend charlie, who is krazy about komic strips!

I'm calling this arc Princess of Gonwanda Land.

7 comments:

Annie said...

Hi Thom,
Thanks. Seeing this reminds me of reading the Sunday comics, when the newsprint was big, and the ink was messy; also, perfect for silly putty!

Eric said...

I saw Charlie's comments over at Whirled, but still have the problem with posting there. Cancer sucks. My thoughts and good wishes go out to you, Charlie.

Thom, while I don't have any original Alley Oops from the newspapers, I do have some issues of the Funnies from 1936-1938 with reprints that I could rescan and send the Alley Oop pages from if you're looking for some more material. It at least has the virtue of being very, very early reprints!

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Eric—
I think that would be great! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

You all have been so great with your comments & sharing beautiful pages--this illness caught me by surprise as my PSA was just over 1---but I am bouncing back--I am just shy of 91 & doing pretty good--charlie

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

I'm so glad to hear you're bouncing, charlie. Keep it up!

Frank M. Young said...

These late V. T. Hamlin Sundays are lovely! At this time, Hamlin was the last practitioner of old-school graphic wonder in the Sunday comics. All the other old masters had long surrendered to the lifeless grid.

I wish someone would do a book of the ALLEY OOP Sundays of the '50s and '60s. They are a hidden treasure of American newspaper comics.

Thanks for these many fine postings.

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Thanks Frank. You bring up a point that I'm going to bring up along the way as well, regarding Hamlin (and Walt Kelly), being the last of the old-school.