Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Heavy Heart

Friends, it's with a heavy heart that I must take a leave of absence from blogging.

My deadlines are such that I've been painted into a corner and I just can't wait for the paint to dry — I have to make footprints across the floor (not a good metaphor, but it shows how desperate I am) and do what I've got to do. These projects involve a lot of design and many many illustrations, so I really need to pay attention and not get distracted.

I don't know how long this will take, these are long-term overlapping deadlines and I wake up at night with panic attacks. Blogging is my favoritist thing to do right now. It relaxes me and inspires me, but it is so time-consuming. As Pappy says at Pappy's Golden Age Comics Blogzine, "Blogging is more work than the job I retired from".

I'd love to figure a way to monetize this blogging stuff without jamming annoying and irrelevant ads all over the place. I'm seriously working on some ideas. I've always thought of my blogs as being a haven away from the commercial world, but maybe I can think of this 'outside the box' (what a cliché, I know).

I've received so many emails from you wonderful people telling me how inspirational many of these images are to you, as students, professionals, and non-artists. The good news for you is that there are so many blogs and sites out there that are way more inspirational than mine, so you do fine without the images I toss up in an erratic and eclectic manner.

I do so enjoy sharing images and thoughts with you all. There are so many more images and in-depth facts and information that I would love to share, if I survive these next few weeks.

Please don't stop 'following' the blog. I will be back. I'll be thinking and dreaming of ways to do this here blogging stuff more full time (as well as some personal art), then you'll really see some stuff!

In the meantime, here is a handful of inspiring work, from the ever-inspiring John R. Neill.

John R. Neill — Ojo in Oz — 1933






Say what?


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your commitments. I've only recently been commenting, but have been lurking a while. I'm one of those who has derived much inspiration and pleasure from your posts. I hope to see you back here soon.

John Matthew Stater said...

Go earn some bread - the internet will be here when you get back!

Joe Jusko said...

I TOTALLY empathize, Thomas! Get yur work done. I'm sure we'll all be here when you return, and thanks for ALL the time and effort you put into this page. It's one of my first stops every morning.

Anonymous said...

Thom
We are patient people and wish you the very best in meeting those deadlines. We may never meet but as you already know, and it never hurts to repeat, your blog is certainly inspirational to me.
Best wishes
Norman

Tororo said...

Stop following? Are you kidding? Be sure that we all will be there when youll'be back!
In the meantime, best luck for your work! These nasty overlapping deadlines (mean beasties... I've been acquainted with some of them, too!)... in the end you will conquer them all! Go!

Michael said...

You have such a great editorial hand.. the things you choose to post, I would love to have in a real bound volume. Getting rights would be a pain, but perhaps in the end this could be a moneymaker.

Good luck with your work, and yeah, we will be here when you get back.

Kid said...

Don't worry, Thom. As has already been said, we'll all be here when you return. At least you're not going to starve with all the work you have.

Lang may yer lum reek.

DocDave said...

Take a good long break, Thom, and replenish the soul. You deserve it. Blogging is fun and satisfying, but it takes SOOO much energy.

Thanks for all the time and efforts! Everyone appreciates it deeply.

Warmest regards!

DocDave Winiewicz

Gey Blabby said...

I've been following your blog for a long time now, and I'll be keeping an eye out for your return in the (hopefully) not-too-distant future.
Cheers!

Annie said...

Dear Thom,

Take care of yourself and all of your commitments. Your blog is one of the best for art and illustration, and for your warmth and generosity, sharing your knowledge and perspective. Eclectic is wonderful. I have learned and enjoyed so much from your posts. It's a gift to yourself, to take a break. It may take a day or two to get past the "withdrawal" but you'll be sleeping better soon, giving yourself the time and energy to focus. Thank you for everything you do.

Edo Bosnar said...

Mainly a lurker here (although I did leave a few comments previously), but I just have to say: thanks for the great posts until now, and best of luck (and success) in your work endeavors.
Hope your leave of absence doesn't last too long, but take all the time you need - like someone else said above, we'll all be here when you get back.

Yves Ker Ambrun said...

Good luck with your paid work, Thom. your blogs are wonderful, the more uplifting and instructional and nicest things on the Web. I've often wondered how you managed to do it: Only the scanning, digital preparation and the writing of these deep and clever texts: One would need 48 hours a day to only produce that, without speaking of a parallel paid job and some private life!
We'll wait eagerly but very patiently for you.
Take good care.
And a thousand thanks for everything.

Anonymous said...

I will be here --take as long as you need--charlie

RJDiogenes said...

Good luck to you. I just wanted to let you know that I check your blog almost every day and I love your diverse taste in art. I'll continue to check in and await your return with impatient patience. And I appreciate all the art and anecdotes that you have given to us in the past.

Booksteve said...

Like everyone's said, we will patiently await your return. Good, original blogs are hard to find, you know. Thank you for what you've shared thus far, sir.

Sim said...

We already miss you and your blog sir, but, for sure, we'll be waiting for you! Don't worry & do your best! So long :)

Sam G said...

Damn. I'm always the last one to find out. Take as much time as needed. I'll be waiting patiently.