Thursday, September 2, 2010

Keep Goin', Oop

Collecting continuities of strips couldn't always work out. Newspaper editors would switch locations of the strips, sometimes week to week, so that one week Alley Oop was on the backside of Dotty Dripple, for example (a strip I would never collect) and the next week on the back of Pogo, which I always collected. So Alley Oop suffered a lot of breaks in the story line, not that the stories were that complex. Plus many times one Alley Oop looked like any other Alley Oop when they were back in Moo, which was 99% of the time in the mid 60s. So I ended up tossing a bunch of those. But I kept a few, and these two were continuous, though the format changed from one week to the next, as the editors were wont to do.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for these beautiful Alley Oop--I just love the older comics--I can not get enough--charlie

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

charlie--I was thinking of you when I posted these. I'll have some other oldish comics coming up.

Steve LeCouilliard said...

've never followed Alley Oop, but I've been a fan of Hamlin's drawing style for a while now. It's certainly a beautiful comic strip!

Can't wait for more classic comics!